This sewing machine was made in 1884. It was purchased by Ann Smith who was a beautiful seamstress making most of her own clothing and for her five daughters. It is noted she made wedding dresses for her daughters and for many local girls.
Weaving Loom used by Ethel Harrison. Ethel Harrison was one of Manitoba’s most accomplished weavers and a woman of many talents.
Her woven legacy came together in an Exhibition highlighted by the six coverlets woven with her husband, T. J. Harrison on the Craft Guilds 100″ loom in the 1960’s. This historic loom is operated by two weavers each one working with their own set of treadles, and throwing or receiving the shuttle in turn.
This impressive piece of handicraft was made by a handi-capped youth G. M. Strachan, who lived at Pope, Manitoba. There are 4,514 separate pieces of Balsa wood in the building and it stands eight feet high. It is entirely hand carved, and the tools used by Mr. Strachan were a fret-saw, penknife, and a chisel. Started in November 1906 it took him until May 1918 to complete its construction, a total of 11 ½ years. Designed with many European cathedrals in mind, the building appears to be a composite formed in Mr. Strachan’s imagination, and incorporating features of each, along with a Canadian beaver and moose heads.